For successful weight loss after Bariatric surgery, a change in your eating habits is absolutely necessary. The operation alone is not magical or a cure. You will not be able to lose as much weight as you like if you eat continuously, or if you stretch your stomach by eating large amounts of food at one time. You will achieve your desired weight loss only if you are willing to control what you eat, and the way in which you eat it.
Try to eat as much as possible like a vegetarian, even if fish and white meat are authorized in a small quantity.
- Eat very slowly
- Chew food well and cut your food in small pieces
- Don’t drink during meals; there is no place in your new stomach for liquids and food both.
- Drink liquids 30 minutes before or at least 45 minutes after meals
- Stop eating just before you are full.
- Eat 3 meals at regular hours and 2 “snacks” at 11am + 4pm in the form of a fruit or a cup of yoghurt
- Drink 2 liters of water between meals
- Select a balanced diet: No sugar, no animal fat, no butter, no sausage, no cheese, no egg yolk, no red meat, no mayonnaise, no sauces, no alcohol or fizzy drinks.
- Fish or white meat must be boiled, steamed or grilled without any added fat.
- Almost all green vegetables steamed or boiled are authorized (spinach, endives, leek, celery, French beans…)
- Vegetables which contain much sugar or carbohydrates such as carrots, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, white or red beans, peas and potatoes will be introduced at a later stage, they aren’t recommended during the first stage of maximum weight loss. This is the same for pasta and rice.
- One milk product per day is sufficient (skim milk or yogurt 0 % fat).
- 1 Glass of fresh fruit juice
- 1 Small slice of brown bread OR a 1/2 cup of corn cereal without sugar
(These foods are needed for proper amounts of B-vitamins and facilitate body transit)
- Tea or coffee without sugar
11 am and 4 pm:
- 1 Fruit, (apple, kiwi or 1/4th of pineapple is the best) OR 1 cup of yogurt 0% fat without sugar.
- Green Salad with tomato, cucumber, radish, onion, French beans, asparagus……
- 1 Small slice of ham without fat OR 1 small portion of Tuna in oil, OR 1 hard boiled egg without the yolk
- 1 Small slice of brown bread (if not yet eaten at breakfast)
(Vary salads every day.)
- 1 Fruit compote without sugar
- Vegetable soup (in winter) or a salad (in summer)
- Green vegetables, steamed or boiled, e.g.: spinach, endives, leek, French beans, celery, asparagus, aubergine, courgette……
- A steamed or boiled potato (introduced at a later stage, like rice and pasta – see above)
- Fish or chicken breast or turkey or veal or rabbit without any fat, steamed or grilled
- A fresh fruit salad without added sugar
Vegetable oil (olive oil, sunflower oil ….) is perfect in a small quantity (1 spoon per meal). Fresh herbs, spices or a ½ teaspoon of mustard will make your meals tasteful.
- 1 cup of herbal tea after dinner before going to bed.
Important: A patient who has had bariatric surgery should never vomit. If this happens, it is that she / he ate too much too quickly, or that there is a beginning of a complication, a consultation with the surgeon is needed then.
© Dr. Jean-Pierre Anfroy | Last update 29/09/15