Welcome to OBESITY SURGERY PARIS site of Dr. Bruto RANDONE, Bariatric and Metabolic Surgeon.
A TAILOR-MADE TREATMENT
Editorial by Dr. Bruto Randone
Obesity is finally recognized by the Health Authorities as a true metabolic pathology. In fact, poor eating behavior is no longer considered to be the only factor responsible for the overweight of obese patients.
Nowadays obesity is approached as a medical and social problem of major importance. According to a national survey on obesity in France (ObEpi), in 2012, more than 15% of the population was obese (body mass index ≥30) and forecasts see this figure increase to 20-25%. here 2020.
Obesity is also at the origin of several pathologies related to life expectancy: diabetes type II, high blood pressure, cardiovascular diseases, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea, hypercholesterolemia, as well as certain cancers. Unfortunately, we know today that an obese patient between the ages of 20 and 30 reduces their life expectancy by 22%.
The benefits of obesity surgery, when accompanied by nutritional management, are now demonstrated. Initially thanks to weight loss but especially in the long term improvement of associated pathologies (primarily type II diabetes) so much so that nowadays we talk less about « bariatric surgery » and more of « metabolic surgery ».
Each specialist of the OBESITY SURGERY PARIS multidisciplinairy team is able to offer a complete range of treatments within his discipline to be able to perform around the patient a « tailor-made » treatment, according to his / her physical, behavioral and metabolic characteristics, independently of his BMI.
Our philosophy is to reduce the weight of our patients significantly but responsibly to improve their associated pathologies, without changing their quality of life.
Dr. Bruto Randone, Bariatric Surgeon, Former Head of Hospitals in Paris, practices bariatric surgery at the Clinique Internationale du Parc Monceau* in Paris. His licence N° is 10004078225 at the Medical Council in France. He consults every Friday and Wednesday at the Clinique Internationale du Parc Monceau in Paris.
BARIATRIC SURGERY :
Obesity surgery may be considered in patients who meet specific conditions. Calculate your BMI (Body Mass Index), very important to know if you can benefit from obesity surgery, then read the paragraph INDICATION (below) and the Preoperative check-up page.
Let’s emphasize once again that, whatever the chosen intervention, a life long change of eating habits and lifestyle is essential. Bariatric surgery is not a cosmetic surgery, long term follow-up is necessary.
SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY is the most practiced intervention in France in recent years. The intervention consists in removing 3/4 of the stomach, a tube through the mouth during the intervention in the stomach is used to calibrate the size of the new stomach. We cut it along the probe and at the same time the automatic clip sutures the section of the stomach. It thus poses a triple row of staples, but despite this there is still a risk of bad, or lack, of healing on the instalment of the section. There may thus appear a fistula with leakage of gastric contents in the ‘belly’, dreaded complication resulting re-intervention, drainage, put in place of prosthesis (See: Sleeve – Fistula – Complications).
- Advantages: No deficiency because the intestinal system is retained (easy to treat hairloss can occur), no food blockages, no remote surgical complications, simple medical follow-up, quick weight loss of 30 Kg in most cases in the first year.
- INDICATION: BMI ≥ 40 and/or patients with a BMI ≥ 35 associated at comorbid conditions likely to be improved after the surgery (including cardiovascular disease, sleep apnea, severe respiratory disorders, severe metabolic disorders, especially type 2 diabetes, osteo-articular diseases).
- In second intention after failure of medical treatment, nutritional, dietary and psycho-therapeutic, well conducted during 6 to 12 months.
- In absence of sufficient weight loss or in absence of weight loss maintenance, after diets supervised by a specialist (nutritionnist, dietician, endocrinologist) with written proof (prescriptions etc.), very important for your medical insurance company !
- Patient well-informed in advance.
- Assessment and multidisciplinary preoperative support for several months.
- Procedure and need understood and accepted by the patient for life during medical and surgical follow-up.
- Acceptable operative risk.
New ! The Clinique Internationale du Parc Monceau in Paris has been selected as the First Private Clinic specializing in bariatric surgery in Paris – Ile de France by the weekly magazine L’EXPRESS in their investigation « Obesity, where to get surgery » in its June 6, 2018 edition. See here (in French language).
* The Clinique Internationale du Parc Monceau in Paris has been re-awarded the highest level (A category) of certification by the Haute Autorité de Santé (French National Authority for Health), without reserve or recommendation. A quality of care recognized by the High Authority of Health (HAS). See here.
This recognition, which follows the last visit of HAS experts on site in November 2017, is another proof of the institution’s level of performance and its continuous improvement of safety and quality of care provided. The HAS highlighted several strengths:
- Quality and risk management
- Management and control of infectious risk
- Involvement of doctors and staff in the care of the patient
- Quality of pathways and patient records
- Management of the operating room
The certification of the High Authority of Health (HAS) has for mission to evaluate and to improve the quality of care and safety of the patients in health establishments and in town medicine. It contributes in particular by attributing a certification, obligatory for all the health establishments. The new version of this certification procedure for French healthcare institutions was implemented in January 2015.
** On June 7th, 2015, the Clinique Internationale du Parc Monceau received the label CENTER OF EXCELLENCE from the French Society of Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Diseases (SOFFCOMM) based on a review of plateau quality criteria, technical, organizational and safety management of patients and competence of practitioners and staff dedicated to the surgery of obesity. Only two establishments are labeled in Paris.
OBESITY SURGERY PARIS has been certified by HONCode in 2015 and respects the 8 principles of the Health Foundation Charter on the Net.
It is essential to have regular follow-up after surgery: a consultation with a nutritionist every three months, and at least every six months is recommanded. Then, consultations can be done with annual frequency.
This site is exclusively devoted to obesity surgery. Drs. Randone & Anfroy are the authors, they receive no support for its financing and refuse any form of advertising. Last update: 14/01/19